When it’s time to make over your home, one important factor that affects your decision making is the budget. Flooring can be one of the most expensive things that Singapore residents may want to do to upgrade their homes. Hence, some individuals would rather spend their money on paintings or furniture to upgrade the look of their homes. Luckily, vinyl wood flooring has offered a solution to this problem. Vinyl wood flooring is becoming a very popular choice for the people of Singapore. Not only does vinyl wood flooring help to cut the cost of flooring in homes, it also maintains that gorgeous look of the floor. Vinyl wood flooring is durable, versatile and stain and water resistant.
Types of vinyl wood flooring
There are 2 types of vinyl wood flooring, that is, sheet vinyl and vinyl tiles. Vinyl tiles are available in wide range of styles, colors and designs. It’s also easy to cut and install the tiles by yourself. Sheet vinyls are very difficult for people to install by themselves and therefore they are installed by professionals for best results.
Before selecting the vinyl floor for your home, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of the vinyl flooring in order to make sure that you get exactly the floor type you expect.
The pros of vinyl wood flooring.
1. Vinyl tiles come in a wide variety of styles and colors, with some designs closely resembling the look of wood planks or stone tiles. While one can notice the difference when he is close to it, from far, it can be difficult to notice that the floor is a product of vinyl.
2. Vinyl is extremely long lasting and durable. Many manufactures offer warranties of up to 15 years or even more for their vinyl products. A well maintained and installed vinyl wood floor can last over 20 years.
3. Vinyl wood flooring is extremely resistant to water and dirt. Vinyl wood flooring can also be installed directly over a previous linoleum or vinyl installation or over the subfloor without first requiring demolition. Vinyl wood flooring is also the best choice for installing on floors with excessive movements or many cracks.
4. Vinyl wood flooring is also easy to clean and maintan. All that one needs is to sweep and mop the floor occasionally to keep it clean.
5. Vinyl wood flooring offer a softer surface compared to other hard flooring products such as wood or tile because it is backed with a tiny layer of either foam or felt.
The cons of vinyl wood flooring
1. Vinyl wood flooring is manufactured using PVC (polyvinyl chloride); this causes it to release volatile organic compounds into the air particularly when the wood floor is new. This affects the quality of indoor air especially for people who are sensitive to this issue.However,since the year 2010,most manufacturers have began using less polyvinyl chloride in the flooring products.
2. Vinyl tiles are easy to install but preparing the subfloor for installation is a difficult job. For the vinyl tiles to be at their best, all particles must be completely removed from the floor before installation in order to prevent the particles from being shown through the vinyl tiles in lumps and bumps.
3. The vinyl floorings’ spongy quality prevents glass from breaking when it’s dropped, however sharp objects can scratch or gouge the vinyl tiles when dropped. Moving furniture could also gouge or scratch the tiles hence furniture pads must be installed below the feet of the furniture.
4. Vinyl wood flooring does not improve the resale value of your home. It’s also a very hard task to remove the vinyl tiles once they are installed.
5. Vinyl sheets are good for any room. However, vinyl tiles are good looking but are not good for the bathroom. The moisture in the bathroom may cause the vinyl tile floor to swell or discolor.
Consensus on vinyl wood flooring
For many people Singapore residents, the durability and low cost of vinyl wood flooring outweigh the issues particularly those concerning emissions of volatile organic compounds. Some people also go for vinyl flooring because it resembles stone or wood tile and it’s not as hard on their feet.Ultimately, your choice will depend on your budget, type of room being installed the flooring and your expectations.