Doing HDB interior design is something that many people are interested in these days. Even if you are on a tight budget, you can always find ways to do interior design in such a manner that you will get the effect you wanted without having to spend a lot of money.
However, the surprising thing is that there are many people who set out to do HDB interior design and then end up regretting it later on. This is normally courtesy of a few common mistakes that are easily avoidable. These include:
1. Not having a master plan: having a master plan is one of the most important elements of doing interior design. It gives you an idea of how much you can expect to spend, and this in turn means that you are likely to end up having an easier time managing your finances. To come up with the master plan, you will first need to come up with a general idea (the kind of look you are interested in achieving) followed by the details (the things you need to do to make the interior have the look you want). Working with a qualified contractor is one of the easiest ways of doing this.
2. Not having a proper budget: if you come up with a master plan for the design, you should find it very easy to also come up with a budget as well. This is something that many people neglect, but which often turns out to be a bad idea. When you don’t have a budget, it means that you may not be able to keep an eye on your spending, especially for the minor costs. This means that you are more likely to overspend.
3. Rushing the process: this is one of the commonest mistakes that people make when doing such design. However, one of the problems you are likely to run into when you insist on rushing the process is finding that some of the things that are done are not done well. This is especially so when working with a low quality contractor, who is likely to try and beat your deadlines so that they can get paid. Rather than giving a firm timeline, you should first find out from the contractor how long it would take to do such work, and then try to work with their schedule. If you need the work done faster, chances are that you will often need to spend more on the interior design to maintain quality.
4. The use of substandard quality materials: when doing HDB interior design in Singapore, it’s common for many people to compromise on quality when buying materials needed for the projects. The most commonly cited reason for this is the fact that such materials are cheaper than the rest. However, the one thing you have to keep in mind is that when you buy low quality materials, you are likely to spend more in the long term, since you will keep doing replacements and repairs.
5. Working with an incompetent contractor: the quality of the contractor is a key element in deciding the quality of the outcome of the interior design. When you are interested in starting such a project, you should always insist on working with one with a good track record for better results. Fortunately, the very good HDB interior design specialists in Singapore are well known, so you should not have much trouble finding one.
6. Not considering the practical side of things: there are times when you may get carried away with the interior design, and end up forgetting to cater for the practical side of things as well. If you have a young family, for instance, it would be wise to consider this when choosing interior designing options. In such cases, doing things such as picking design elements that are safe for the child (but which still conform to the look you want) will be necessary.
7. Being overzealous: before starting such a project, you should first figure out how much you are willing to spend, and then choose a design that can fit into this budget. When you simply choose what you want without regard to the cost, you are likely to run out of funds during the process, and this in turn means that you may have to compromise for the rest of it.